Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Windows Server 2012 sluggish mouse movement

When I first started deploying Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 I noticed that when I worked from home mouse movement was terrible!  I worked on tasks that involved those servers either from the office or through a remote access form other than RDP (ie remote registry, remote eventvwr, etc).  That was when I had 2 - 3 servers running 2012.  Now that it's the standard OS I deploy (12 and rising rapidly) it was rapidly becoming an issue I could no longer avoid.

My remote access is through XenApp (ICA) and then opening up a RDP session to the server from within the XenApp session. 

I saw a lot of solutions to DisableTaskOffload set to 1, turn off FIPS (seems more related to logon slowness), disable "fairshare" (cpu, disk, network).

This post nailed it: Disable "show shadows under mouse pointer"
http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/350932-slow-sluggish-mouse-movement-for-windows-2012-r2/

I had done this on past servers running 2008 R2 / 2008 when running XenApp, but never much worried about it when it wasn't a XenApp server.  Sure enough this fixed my slug moving mouse in 2012 / R2.  (I actually prefer to just hit the setting "Adjust for best performance" so it disables all the pertty settings.

  1. cmd prompt
  2. sysdm.cpl
  3. Advanced tab
  4. Performance "settings"
  5. Click "adjust for best performance" or alternately just uncheck the "show shadows under mouse pointer"
  6. Apply

No comments:

Post a Comment